Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I Hope Christmas Never Goes Away

After surviving another Christmas rush of buying, wrapping, visiting, and giving how many of you would admit that people go a bit over the deep end this time of year? People are crazy aren't they? Its incredible the lengths that people go to buy that special gift for that special someone. People aren't paying attention when they're driving. They'll park almost anywhere to get into the store or mall. [Been a victim of parallel parking?] Why do people get in such a frenzy? Why does it always happen at Christmas time?

I used to take the frenzy quite personal. I always felt that the budding in line, the fight for a parking spot, the shove in the mall, was a personal offense. Now I look at it a different way. Maybe its because I'm realizing why I get caught up in the frenzy as well. People go over the deep end for someone else! Yes, that's right! They care enough about whoever they're buying for that they will go to exorbitant lengths [way above what is normal any other time of year] to buy that special gift for someone. The more I think about it, the more I hope Christmas never goes away. We all need someone to go over the deep end for us. We need someone to give us that "blowout" gift that we've always wanted but never had enough nerve to spend that kind of money!

I can put up with alot of shoving, budding in line, and apparent rudeness, if I know that someone is doing it for someone else. They're passionate drive to get something special for someone else gives me the assurance that I can take a bit of jostling during the holidays. God knows we all can use such a boost! Everyone deserves someone to go over the deep end for them. If you've been down in the dumps about the chaos of the season, take a note about why people get chaotic and you may just realize that the chaos can be the most beautiful thing: people going crazy for other people.

I hope Christmas never goes away! Its the one time of year that such vivid passion can be seen all in the name of getting something for someone else. Out of an entire year of "getting" that fuels all selfish desires, the point of "getting" this time of year is for someone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can look at it that way, but I think people's craze at Christmas demonstrates their lack of it most of the year. THink about it... how often to do spend enourmous amounts of time, money, and the sacrifice for people over what they really need at any given moment.

I love Christmas, but I never seem to come out of it more grounded in God, others, or myself. That tells me something.

I aprreciate the your thoughts just the same.

Luciano Lombardi said...

I hear what you're saying. It would be great if the "going over the deep end" for someone else had to do with stuff like losing a job, not having enough to eat, helping someone who is sick etc.

Luc