Friday, October 14, 2005


Well, I've entered the dark side, that place where people fear to tread. It was inevitable. It was only a matter of time. Its one of those things that you can avoid for a while but eventually hits you right between the eyes! There's no escaping it. At one time in my life it felt so far away that it would take forever to get there. Yet, here it is. I'm traveling down a fast waterslide and there is no avoiding the 30 foot drop!

Yes - I'm 40! I have now become one of those people who are fondly referred to as "forty-something!" My kids are no longer in diapers, no longer in car booster seats, in fact one of them is in High School. I look around and I realize I'm not pushing strollers anymore. In fact I'm waiting for my kids at the mall while they go shopping. It hasn't donned on me that I'm not in my 20s anymore. Everyone pushing the strollers look way younger than me. It seems like kids are pushing kids around. WHAT HAPPENED?

In a nutshell, life happened: a roller coaster ride of getting married, having kids, and keeping the team afloat! I'm in the part of my life I always pictured my Dad in and never thought too much about me being there. I'm the Dad now. I'm the middle aged bread winner who trudges off to work at the wee hours of the morning to keep the family going. One thing is for sure: I never expected life to go this fast. Those who are a bit further in the distance tell me that it doesn't slow down one bit. I need to take advice from one of the most reknowned characters in film - In the words of Ferris Beuhler - "Life moves pretty fast. You have to stop and look around sometimes."

Well, I need to make the best of this. As soon as I know it I'll be looking over that big hill and I'll be traveling down the waterslide for the 40 foot drop. No use crying over spilt milk. No point worrying about what happened. There's still too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I better get crackin!

Luc

No comments: